While most dads and moms look forward to returning their children, especially, elementary and kindergarten school children, back to schools this fall, new delta COVID variant is making COVID-19 a big issue again. With vaccination made possible by last U.S. administration and roll-out is continuously being made possible by new U.S. administration, hope of safe school reopening was initially awaken until the news of delta COVID strain, followed by updated public health concerns and guidelines. For dads, moms, and guardians, decision on returning kids to school safely depends on a factor, the safety of their kids, especially the ones that cannot get COVID vaccine now, under 12 years old. While masking recommendation is now a big deal for younger kids returning to school, how will schools manage that among younger kids, especially 2-7 years old, that may not know how to use mask. For the parents that are concerned on the health safety of their kids, many questions are daring decisions. Few of the questions may be among the ones below:
- Mask for younger kids, especially 2-7 years old? How will that be possible for younger kids throughout school hours, 5 days per week? School hour is about 5-6 hours depending on the general school hours in each U.S. State. Will younger kids be able to keep the mask on for 5-6 hours? Any health implications?
- Should school reopening be postponed if positivity rate is going up? E.g., if for a State or local region, the positivity rate goes over 1% and keeps going up beyond 3-4%. Check and track your U.S. State’s positivity rate here.
- Should vaccination be mandated (or encouraged) for all school staffs and will schools update the parents on positivity rate of their schools, especially private schools?
- For the older kids, 12 years old and above, is it safe to take COVID vaccine? A question non-politically motivated health experts should answer based on health evidence.
- For non-public or private schools, should they strictly follow the state’s positivity rate to manage their planned school reopening this fall and beyond?
- Should both public and private schools have provision for hybrid or virtual learning for kids, whose parent are very concerned, in case, positivity rate keeps skyrocketing. Every good dad prays and hopes it does not keep skyrocketing?
- Should parents contribute to safe reopening planning for their kids’ schools? Perhaps, they may have some useful questions and concerns that can enhance existing schools safe reopening plan, especially previously approved reopening plan before delta COVID variant became a public health concern.